To find out about student's drinking habbits and awareness of their drinking, we did a survey in Gubbay Hall on 20 students, (10 male/10 female) average age between 20-25.
- What age were you when you first drank?
- How often do you have a drink containing alcohol?
- How many standard drinks containing alcohol do you have on a typical day when drinking?
- How often do you have 6 or more drinks on one occasion?
- During the past year, how often have you found that you were not able to stop drinking once you had started?
- During the past year, how ofthen have you failed to do what was normally expected of you because of drinking?
- Why do you drink?
- Do you ever drink alone?
- During the past year, have you been unable to remeber what happened the night before because you had been drinking?
- Has anything dangerous happened or someone been injured as a result of drinking? Explain.
- Has a relative, friend or doctor or other health woker been concerned about your drinking or suggested you cut down?
- How old are you now?
- Do you have any comments that you would like to make on alcohol?
Results of the questionnaire showed that more than half of the interviewees had their first drink before the age of 16. When asked about why they drink, it seemed the majority only drinks for social and relaxation reasons. One person said it is his replacement for water. Out of the 20, 8 said to have consumed six or more drinks on one occasion on a weekly basis, (mostly men) while only four have never gone above this limit. Although they drink alot, most students said to be able to control their drinking, have never put themselves in a dangerous position or been approached to cut down their drinking and 12 said to not been able to partially remember what happened the night before. Three people have ended up in the hospital before for passing out when drunk. Lone drinkers were people who only had one glass of wine/cocktail/beer every other day but nothing worying.
Comments on alcohol use:
- Don't drink, and if you do, try to control it
- Against binge drinking just for fun; pathetic
- Drink in Moderation
- Wasting paramedic's time, rather than attending to actual cases
- Have you first drink with your parents to avoid curiosity at a later stage, leading to binge drinking.
- A really big deal; social or not, it affects your health in a bad way
- I don't NEED to drink, it's more for the social side of it
- People drink a lot mor in UK than New York + age limitation in America.
I'ts great! They should be cheaper!